National Patient Safety Advisory Group
A National Patient Safety Advisory Group (NPSAG) was established in 2011 to facilitate the process of continuing to drive the patient safety agenda forward at national level and to provide for continuity of high level engagement of the stakeholders that worked together on the implementation of the Commission Report and the launch of the Patient Safety First Initiative.
The Terms of Reference of the NPSAG are as follows.
1. To support the Minister and the Department in providing national leadership on patient safety and quality
2. To advise on the development of policy in the area of patient safety and quality as requested by the Minister
3. To provide a forum for dialogue and discussion of important patient safety issues at national level as requested by the Minister from time to time
4. To provide a national forum for the discussion and sharing of members’ experiences, concerns and learning in relation to patient safety
5. To advise the Minister and the Department and service providers of any new or emerging patient safety issues that come to its attention
6. To advise on high level patient safety indicators for adoption at national level and comment on their implementation
7. To act as trustees for the ‘Patient Safety First’ brand through ongoing advice and oversight in relation to website content and activities undertaken under this heading.
8. To oversee the implementation of the recommendations of the Commission on Patient Safety and Quality Assurance